633. During 2001-2002 work was undertaken in order to improve the regulatory and legal framework on control over the circulation of narcotic substances, psychotropic substances and precursors in compliance with the provisions of the Law of the Kyrgyz Republic “On Narcotic Substances, Psychotropic Substances and Precursors”. The State Program of Countermeasures against Drug-Addiction Spreading, Drug Trafficking in the Kyrgyz Republic for 2001-2003 has been approved.
Nevertheless, the situation is not getting better. Social conditions in the Republic produce drug-related crimes, and push certain strata of the population into drug trafficking. Four and a half tons of various drugs were confiscated from illegal drug circulation, although the number of drug-related crimes resolved in 2001 was 3,205, which is 9.44 percent less than in 2002. A special survey has indicated that the number of drug addicts in Bishkek is 15 times higher than the official data of the narcological services. There is a concern about the broadening of the social base of organized crime related to drugs. The least socially protected strata of society, pensioners, women and young people, are being involved in the drug business. The age of more than 60 percent of those charged with illegal cultivation of opium is above 50 and below 30.
634. The major problems are:
· the presence of social grounds for drug business and drug addiction;
· lack of resources for the implementation of planned programs;
· unsatisfactory efforts made by government bodies, local state administrations and local governments against drug-addiction;
· growing transit of drugs through the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic; and
· growth in the incidence of AIDS.
635. A priority goal for future action is stabilization and further reduction of drug-related crimes and the incidence of drug addiction, the protection of the nation’s genetic pool.
The main priorities of work in this area are the following:
· capacity building of law enforcement and healthcare bodies;
· improvement of information awareness of the population on negative impacts produced by drugs;
· protection of socially vulnerable strata of the population from involvement in drug business and the illegal use of drugs; and
· suppression of corruption among those taking countermeasures against drug addiction.
The basic mechanisms to implement these priorities are as follows:
· conducting prophylactic work with socially vulnerable strata of the population and risk groups;
· increasing the level of protection of the borders of the Kyrgyz Republic from growing drug transit through its territory, participation in international cooperation combating drug trafficking;
· further improvement of the regulatory and legal framework in the area of drugs control; and
· consistent reduction of the non-medical use of drugs and curtailing of illegal market of drugs and psychotropic substances.