50. Initial achievements in the implementation of the CDF have provided the basis for the further strengthening and acceleration of positive developments. They have also shown that, in order to ensure the sustainability of the reform process, continuing issues must be effectively tackled. Poverty reduction has emerged as a real need in the integrated implementation of the main CDF measures.
Thus, the NPRS is considered to be the fundamental element in the successful attainment of the overarching CDF goal. This implies the development and implementation of a complete system of analysis, programs and projects, applying the approach approved by the National CDF Council in January 2002. Specific features of this approach in respect to the NPRS programs, projects and components include:
· The direction of development to be fully consistent with national goals.
· Selection of development priorities through the assessment of their direct or indirect impact on poverty.
· Development of a medium-term policy and its implementation mechanism in the form of an integrated business-like process.
· A logical process in NPRS, starting from the identification of poverty issues, defining priority policies and ending in the design and implementation of specific measures (analysis, programs and projects).
· A balance between national, regional and sectoral programs that are complementary and interchangeable.
· Good coordination and effective use of foreign assistance.
· Assessment of the required resources and their consolidation for the implementation of development priorities.
· Implementation of institutional reforms in close coordination with the established business-like process. Optimization of management for effective policy development.
· Building an optimal implementation framework with clear timing and resource plans.
· Development of an adequate monitoring and evaluation system.
· Achievement of substantial results on macro and micro levels.
51. The mission of NPRS is to expand the opportunities for each citizen to have an adequate, equitable, and comfortable life in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Two strategies are envisaged for implementation of the mission. These are:
The main goals of the stabilization strategy are to achieve predictability of life and manageability of resources.
These goals cover a set of objectives targeting political, economic and social stability. This implies provision of various forms of security (food, energy, financial, information and ecological security), as well as safeguarding of spiritual and cultural values and traditions. The strategy also provides for the reorientation of donor assistance to country development priorities, fulfillment of Kyrgyzstan’s obligations to the donor community, and partnership-based participation of donors in implementation of specific projects. Grant assistance from the donors will be welcomed. All activities included in the stabilization strategy will, above all, focus on building a strong foundation for sustainable development of the nation.
The main goal of the development strategy is to ensure that the present supports the future, while the efforts for the better future support the present.
The goal of this strategy implies a quality leap in development through mobilization of domestic resources, effective use of structural reforms and quality management. The objectives of the strategy also include bringing in professional managers to foster the development of economy, improvement of infrastructure, introduction of new technologies and information systems, as well as active involvement of civil initiatives in the development of the country’s image.
52. The NPRS will be implemented on the basis of CDF principles of partnership and participation, separation of powers, rule of law, larger participation of the private sector, realism, complementarity, innovation, focus on results and openness to the global community. In the long-term perspective, the comprehensiveness of the NPRS will help to expand the nation’s development opportunities through the following:
Development of human resources by means of education and training will ensure inflow of mobile professional managers for identification of country priorities.
Improvement of infrastructure, using new technologies, will help to transcend the geographic barriers of the country.
Focusing the economy on development of the service sector without denying the continuing importance of agricultural and industrial types of production.
Building an information society in the Republic will help citizens to be active participants in the dynamic processes of reforms in all areas.
Sustainable stabilization and dynamic development of the country for the well being of all citizens is the way towards Kyrgyzstan’s prosperity.